Monday, May 9, 2011

Ten Second Tom

I'm back! I hate that I've had such blogging amnesia. It's like I created this little account, blogged a couple of times and then poof - I was ten second Tom - only remembering what happened 10 seconds ago.

Since my last post - which I just re-read to even remember the who, what, when and how of this here blog - I've had some major life change. I left my little desk at the end of the hallway in the industrial park in the hood (complete with feral dogs and tent cities) to my dream job. My career. My calling. My ministry.

In January, I started as the Director of Communications at my church - a church with three locations, more than 5,000 attending on the weekends and a pastor and leadership with a true heart for what God has called us to do. Every day I am humbled that I get to come work here each and every day.

I work with some wickedly funny people. Can you use "wickedly" to describe church folk? Hmmm...do't know.

They are genuine and caring and fun and real. They love coffee, good music and Jesus. I get to wear jeans - not just on casual Friday but every day...WHAT?! Jeans & Jesus? Yup, that's right!

Mike and I celebrated our year anniversary on the 20th. It's been a great year but a really tough one too.

In September, his mom was diagnosed with a malignant, inoperable brain tumor after having what we think was a seizure. It's been a year where we have had to learn how to be caregivers (when we're in town), interpreters for a very articulate woman who is now struggling to find her words and her memory, cheerleaders for a family that's looking for God's grace and mercy in an insanely difficult and plan UGH SICK time - and navigators through healthcare lingo, grief assimilation and the sometimes turbulent newlywed waters.


And while this is not a good situation in any way shape or form - we've gotten to spend some really valuable family time. I've gotten to know his mom in a deep and intimate way. Mike and I have learned how to support each other - learning how much we really need each other.

Since September, among the other craziness, we both have changed jobs, I've run a 1/2 marathon, and I'm sure there are some other amazing things in the pipeline for our little family.



Because God is good. God is infinite. God is faithful. And we are chosen, holy and dearly loved. He will not forget us.

And I will not forget my blog. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment