Friday, July 9, 2010

Serve.

A couple months ago, our church introduced a 21-day experiment in prayer to the women attending Women Under Construction one night. Basically, each day, you prayerfully read one of John's 21 chapters. After reading, you jot down a verse that jumped out at you. On the flip side of the paper, you write down three prayer requests and pray that verse over those requests throughout the day. It was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!

So I'm doing my own little 21-day experiment in prayer - except for it's in Philippians instead of John and it will last however many days there are chapters - I'm wild, I'm crazy, I'm a regular Thelma and Louise (add in some Jesus, subtract some Brad Pitt.)



I was reading Philippians 2 this morning and thought it was a wonderful reminder of why it's so important to serve others.

In this book, Paul is in jail, literally in chains, and writes to the church in Philippi. He has all these incredible instructions on how we're supposed to live as Christians. Talk about a lemons into lemonade kind of outlook. I'm not sure I would have been as hopeful and positive if I was in some stony, cold, damp, dark, musty jail cell.

(This is a photo of what they think is the actual jail cell Paul was in. Imagine some brawny Roman soldiers and some sort of anti-escape barring across the doors.)



Philippians 2: 1-3 jumped out at me this morning:

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

The rest of the chapter talks about imitating Christ and how he was the ultimate servant and our lives should reflect that. And when it does, we will be like shining stars in an extrememly dark night. I just love that image!



Imagine what it looks like to the outside world when you hold the door for a stranger. Give someone a sincere compliment and don't expect one in return. Make a meal for a friend who's struggling. Send a care package to a soldier. Visit with an elderly neighbor. The list goes on and on.

For more ideas on how and where to serve, checkout Hands on Charlotte.

1 comment:

  1. Love this & love the prayer idea! Also love the coffee pic...I'm certain that's Starbucks French Roast in the cup! :)

    Love you!
    Becky's mom :)

    ReplyDelete